Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Friday, May 18, 2007

May 17, 2007

How many of us here play with Google Earth? How man of us have the Google Maps application on our phone/PDA? I answered both of those with a big YES! I love Google Earth on my laptop but I rather use it on my PDA. Why on my PDA? Simple, its easier to use, and the laptop gets hot. I like to browse cities and follow streets. I will usually look at sites that I know have good coverage, like Las Vegas.

I am trying to find more uses for my PDA this summer. Here are some uses I am using it for now and a breif description of each. The PDA I am covering will be of couse, my iPAQ but I am sure you can apply most of these to Palm OS.

Skype Phone: This is one that I will use a lot this summer. I usually use Skype for text chatting but I call sometimes. I don't see the point in having a Skype Phone even though its a lot cheaper. I rather use my iPAQ that can do a lot more.

Writing for my Website: This is something that I do now. The Bluetooth keyboard is a life saver for this. I rather use this then my laptop sometimes. I can position it better and be more comfertable. This also gets better battery life then my laptop can. This is very useful for when I am not near a power outlet. The other good thing is its a lot smaller. Much easier to travel with!

Music: Yes, This is something I use with all PDA's but oh well. This is the reason that I have a 4GB SD card. The iPAQ serves as my only MP3 player. I don't see why I should buy a new one when I have this one that works fine for me. I just wish that I could find a player that supports WMA and works good. So I guess I will stick to Windows Media Player 10.

Instant Messenger: This is something that I used to use a lot. I plan on trying to find some good software this weekend. I have tried a few, and the one I use to use with my Dell is no longer free and forces you to update to the pay version. This is something that I may just have to find.

EBooks: I am not the biggest reader in the world but there are some good free books online if you know where to look. This, like the instant messengers, is something that I may do. I do not know yet however. I do know of a nice EBook reader so we will see what happens.

Internet: Yes, something that I use now. But its a great use. I love being able to go online without the need for a bulky laptop. I just wish that there were more mobile friendly websites. I would love a bigger screen too!

Google Maps: Yes, I use this one now too. This is a great way to pass the time too. The only bad thing is that its not to friendly on battery life.

Games: Ahh yes, one of the reasons I got a PDA actually. I do not have that many installed now but I will have to go looking for games. The best games are the Astraware games though. They are the ones who have Bejeweled for PDA's. I also like to check the freeware games out too.

Personal Information Managaement: Yes, the whole reason we have PDA's. The address book is very useful since if you change phones, you don't loss all that information. Plus, you can keep more on the PDA, and you can back it up. The task list is of course my shopping list and what I need to do. Like what I need to update on the site and when. The calendar is very helpful too. It helps me know where I need to be and when.

EMail: Always useful. Theres not much to say here though.

Theres no other ones that I can think of really. There is using it as a TV remote but thats not something I use. I will have too see what else I can think of for the summer though.

Its funny, my RC car tends to take me over once the weather gets nice. This year I an trying to not let that happen to me. I am going to use the RC, but not as much. While I love my RC, I also love my electronics. Infact, I am thinking of getting some air filter oil from a dirtbike and quad place to save money. Sad, its so much cheaper there then it is at the hobby shop. Of course, you pay more becuase its a hobby! There is no such thing as a cheap hobby if you ask me...

I hope I get to drive the Focus again this weekend, I really enjoy it now. Its fun for me. Once I get my license, I can get a real job! I am hoping for Best Buy or Ciruit City. We will see how this ends up though.

I am sure that you have seen that the site is changing again. I am adding an electronics page, and new reviews. You probably noticed that the last 2 pages are not up yet. Sorry but the electronics page is taking for ever. Its a long page that will describe what I have and that is a lot of stuff. I plan on having them both up very soon!

Yesterday, I posted some standards, well, I feel like adding on to that now. So here goes!

Keyboards All PDA's and phones should have full QWERTY keyboards on them. Why? Simple, ease of use. Its much easier to type with on a thumboard. I am not a big fan of on screen keyboards.

LIGHTED Keyboards: How can they not sell more laptops with a lighted keyboard??? I hate trying to use my laptop at night. This is a major problem for me. I also wish that any thumboard was backlit too. It just makes everything easier.

Those are all that I can think of for now. But I'll say this, I can't live with out a real keyboard for my PDA. If all I had was the onscreen methods, I think I would never use the PDA as much as I do. Its sad really, the more I use the PDA, the more I wish I had more. The best part of my PDA though is that theres a warrenty on it. Too bad that I havce to send it back to Virgina to get the warrenty on it though.

I love the flip cover more and more on my iPAQ. Its better then the SJ33 one since I can remove it and not have this huge bump on it. I just wish that it went all the way around though. That is the most important part of my iPAQ. If it wasn't for that, I would have way more scratches on the screen. The best thing is when I have music playing, I don't have to lock the buttons. One of the most annoying things though is that theres no hold switch for the screen. I have to use iTask to disable the screen. Oh well, still better then on Palm OS where if you bump the screen or buttons it would go back on.

Speaking of iTask and my HP, I got to say, HP made a good bundle of software for the iPAQ. Theres the basic Today plug in for stuff like free memiory and battery life, and the iTask program. I really love the wireless manager and the dual button assignments too. I may end up never upgrading the PDA. I would like to get the WM6 upgrade though, if HP releases one. I doubt they are though as they said they will not release one for the older models. Oh well, WM5 is fine for me.

Thankfully WM is different then Palm. Most PPC2003 applications will work on WM5. Palm OS is not to great on backwards compatability if you ask me. There are applications that work on OS5 but not on OS4. I'll stick with WM5 thank you... I also will not be upgrading to Vista any time soon.

Why is that they make Vista look a lot nicer but don't really add much else? I would like to see them include office software. At the very least, Word. I use OpenOffice.org thankfully. I just wish that it was included. Better yet, why doesn't everyone use OpenOffice.org? Its free and does same as Office does.

No comments: