Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

May 16, 2007

Well, I decided to just go back to Windows. Why? Linux has been giving me a lot of problems. I can't stand when I can't get my WiFi working right. The bad WiFi support totally runs OpenSuSE for me! I need fully working WiFi... Without WiFi, what is the point of even having a laptop? Also, SuSE was kind of annoying as I got some weird problems with it. Like my audio was bad.

Since I am using Windows again, I can use my iPAQ again. This is good since I want to use it year round now. I spent enough on the keyboard not to use it. There is also the 4gb SD card I have for music... I don't have any other way to play my music now so I need the iPAQ for that.

Also, now I don't mind the cradle as much since I can use the USB now. I tried to take off the USB cable but HP doesn't use the simple connector like my Dell had. I am tempted to hack in a USB mini cable if I ever get a second cradle... That would be very helpful really. I do have the retractable cable afterall. I just wish that I didn't have so much crap! If you a k me, everything should be USB for power and data. I love retractable cables...

I try to get my room nice and clean But guess what always happens... Yup, its messy in a day or so... I Just can't keep my room clean... I took my printer out of my room too. I just don't have room for something I don't need. If I need to print something, I can use my dads computer with the laser printer. I also am trying to make more room in my drawers. Its funny too see all the crap I have...

Speaking of crap... I think its about time we start setting some standards... We have so many different things... Theres so many different plugs too. Theres the little barrel connectors that are never the same size... I propse the following standards...

USB Charging: Everything should use 5v at 500ma. This would end the need for seperate Chargers and data cables. Products could then include a small power brick for those who need one. This also calls for my next standard...

One USB cable Type:Lets solve this right now. USB Mini B is perfect, dont change it... This would be for both data and charging. This would be on everything from hubs and printers to PDA's and phones. This would end clutter and promote easy traveling.

USB Host: Why can't USB Host be standard on all devices?!?! Its one thing I think all devices need. I always find my self needing a file on my flash drive when I don't have a desktop or laptop near by... I also find my self needing a card reader too that could be solved by USB host. This would allow me to use the flash drive instead.

Standard Memory Cards: How many times do you find your self having the wrong memory card? I say we make something similar to Micro SD standard. Its small enough to fit on everything and has an adapter for SD card use. Its perfect! It would also speed stuff up since even computers would have one.

Standard Wireless: How many times do you wish something had Bluetooth or WiFi? For me, I need Bluetooth for my keyboard.

Better Battery Life: I need to have my PDA get like 10 hours off the battery. I propose that a minimum battery life of 10 hours is needed. Stuff like MP3 players already get this so I say for them, minimum of 15hrs. Laptops would benefit most from this though.

User Replacable Batteries: This is strongly needed. I hate when I see a device thrown away because the battery died. Pocket PC has had this for some time now. Why can't all devices have it? This way when your battery dies, its easy to replace it. This also allows you to carry spares on trips.

Those few things are the standards I need. Especially the USB Host. I use my PDA a lot and sometimes wish I could connect my 4gb flash drive to it. Why when I have a 4gb SD card? I need a file from my website which I store on my flash drive. Simply put, USB Host would be a life saver. I also need to have better battery life on my stuff. The thing that is the most annoying how ever is that when your battery dies, so does the device. I have seen perfectly good PDA's go to waste because the battery is shot.

You know, its getting close to a time when TV is really boring. This time is when the TV show season is over. This means I don't have much to watch now. There are only 5 more episodes of Stargate too. SG-1 is ending with two strait to DVD movies while Atlantis continues. There is talk of Universe being a totally seperate series.

I can't beleive that I still use my iPAQ. I hated Pocket PC when I had my Dell. Now, I love the thing. Could it be that its just better then Palm OS? I do know for a fact, the onscreen keyboard is by far the best I have ever used. I also know that I love the built in web browser. It actually lets me look at Wikipedia with images turned on. I also like the fact that Word is built in, and though lacks features, is still built in. It doesn't take up my memory.

You know, I am thinking of making a mobile links page. I have some bookmarked on the iPAQ. I could make an HTML page of links for my iPAQ. This would be very helpful for me. This would allow me to not have to have the pages bookmarked. Its not hard to make the page.

You know, my laptop is almost a year old now. I need to spice it up with a new hard drive. I am thinking of getting a 160gb drive. Pretty much doubling what I have now. Do I need it? No... Not really. I want a new external so I will be using the current 80 for that. It will serve as back up and to keep files I need. The drive is about 115 bucks. I was going to get a 7200 RPM drive but its only 100gb. For the price, I'll stick to 5400 RPM. The best thing though is that I may set up a dual boot now that I have so much room. I plan on partitioning the external drive a little differently then usual. I may just use folders to save myself some trouble.

No comments: