Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Friday, June 15, 2007

June 14, 2007

Well, in a few days I will be sending out the Treo. Soon as he gets the laptop ready to be sent and gives me the tracking number, I will send the Treo. I can't wait to get it. I need something new to play with besides my MP3 player. I will end up installing Ubuntu on to it. I choose Linux for low end hardware for speed. There is one exception to that rule though as XP Pro ran better on my 570 then does Ubuntu. My guess is that this is a fluke as the graphics card is very low end. Its only a 2.5MB card. My guess is thats why it is so sluggish. It could be that its also a lot slower then it should be. Its only a 366MHZ Pentium 2. If I bump the RAM up on the T20, the 800MHZ Pentium 3 should fly! Just have to wait and see what happens!

I am also trying to get more use out of my older electronics. I am using my NEC to type part of this up. It doesn't make any difference what I use as it will just get copied into DreamWeaver later anyway. I am planning on using the new T20 for making the site when I am in the car. Why? Because the TrackPoint is a better solution for me. Its also a lighter laptop that will run cooler then my Acer does. It is about a pound lighter and from what I am told, runs at about 55C. On the power adapter, my Acer can get up to 70C or higher. Of course, I only use OpenOffice in the car so I can keep it cooler. I will have to install Notebook Hardware Control and see how much I can throttle back the processor. If I can get to to run at 400MHZ and run cooler, I can sacrifice speed. I am also willing to use it on the power adapter all the time.

Speaking of powering devices. I need to use my Acer on battery more often. It has been sitting on my desk for awhile now. Even when I take it somewhere like a friends house, I just end up plugging it in. It would get more use on battery if it lasted longer. I may get a new battery for the T20 as they are 80 bucks. I didn't get a battery for the 570 as there is no use. Its so old that its not worth investing much more then RAM into it. Now even not RAM as the screen is too lose for any good use. I may max out the RAM on the T20. 512MB would be good for it.

I am even planning on getting some more use out of my iPAQ. I want to install an RSS feed reader. If I do, I need some feeds to read. I read my sites at the computer. Truthfully, I do not see much use for a RSS feed. Its much easier to just read my sites on the computer. Why should I wait for a feed to update? Plus the feeds are pretty basic.

From what I hear, Berwick, PA is suppose to be adding another reactor. While I am all for more power, I think we need to start using more environment friendly methods. Why should we use nuclear power when we can set up More wind farms. I have been seeing some pretty neat ways to get power. In Denmark, they have an offshore wind farm. There are even under water tidal turbines. We have so many rivers we could tap into for power. We also need to stop depending on fossil fuels. Gas prices are only going to get worse. There are many possibilities for powering a car.

We NEED to start getting fuel cells into use. They would radically change the future of laptop use. If we could have one that was small enough to provide a weeks worth of use, laptops would be much more useful. Think about the possibilities. If your laptop was low on power, you could charge it instantly. It could change the way we use computers forever. We would have true wireless computers. This could make computers easier to transport since there would be no wires.

If we want to have true wireless computing, we need to get rid of stuff like USB cables. USB is good for desktop computers, but not laptops. The devices we use can be made wireless. We have wireless mice for example. We could keep USB on laptops for flash drives and other stuff like receivers. This could make taking the laptop places more easy. You wouldn't need to move and unplug several cables first. There should also be built in cad readers.

I would love to see why everyone is so excited about the stupid iPhone. Thats right fanboy's!!! I said it is a STUPID device! Its a waste of money. Its nothing more then an over hyped underpowered PDA phone. I can get a Treo 680 and a 8GB SD card for half the price. I would rather my basic phone, good MP3 player, and good PDA. I don't care about the whole all in one hype. The iPhone is too much money to be any good to me. I HOPE IT CRASHES AND BURNS!

I have been really looking into the Foleo and Eee PC concepts. The Foleo is also over priced and underpowered but it may lead to more devices. The Eee PC is a lot better concept. Its cheaper and a real computer. The Eee is all flash based and comes in 7 and 10 inch sizes. The Eee PC, as you may already know, is rumored to be 200 for 7 inch, and 300 for 10 inch.

I have been thinking of getting a switch for my video games. They want 20 bucks for a 4 input switch. I need only 2. I can't believe that they want so much for something like this. I can't stand how stuff has to be so expensive. Its even more annoying when they only sell the one that is overkill for you. Why don't they ever see just what I need.

No comments: