Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

August 14, 2007

On Sunday, I posted about getting the new Targus ChillHub. Well, its probably going back. Its not cooling enough for me to warrant the 55 dollar price tag. While yes, it is keeping the case very cool, the processor is still running at only 5 degrees Celsius cooler at full load. 5 degrees is nice and all but for $55, I want more then that!
Since I was sort of using it as a USB, I decided that I would mount my 7 port hub UNDER my desk. This was achieved with the master invention of DUCK TAPE! Yes, duck tape... Some electrical tape was used as it was thinner and easier to use in some spots. This is really good for stuff like a mouse and flash drive since my USB ports are on the side... Thanks Acer! The only bad thing about this mounted hub how ever is the cables need to be plugged in UPSIDE DOWN!
I also got my Zen Vision:M to start charging over USB which means one less power cable! Whats even better is that I can use a small (as in only a few inches) USB cable to reach the hub mounted at the edge of the desk. This is really great to reduce cable clutter. I am also able to use it under Linux with Gnomad 2. This allows me to add music to it!
I have decided to stop using Word documents and switch all my new files to OpenOffice.org default ODT file. This makes it much easier for me to open and save the files. Sure this means that I can not use the iPAQ anymore for this but who cares. The thing is messed up again anyway. Since I uninstalled SoftMaker Office, it lost the file association with Word. This is really annoying as the only way I can think of fixing it involved a good old fashion hard reset. I can not load my programs back onto it as I don't run Windows anymore. Too bad huh??? I am not going to dual boot for a stupid PDA!
You know I was thinking the other day... I miss the Microsoft Flight Simulator. The one I had was 95 so it was pretty old really. Of course, it wasn't the most fun thing in the world but it was like using a RC plane if you think about it. One thing I would love to get is Real Flight G3. This is a RC plane and helicopter simulator that you can use as a tool to learn to fly. I mean that as in learn to fly RC, not real aircraft haha. Of course, this is really expensive as it comes with the controller similar to that of real RC planes and helicopters. I would love to learn to fly my little Blade CP helicopter we got awhile ago.
One of the great things about me using Linux is that I am using my MP3 player, the Zen Vision:M, a lot more now. This is good since I didn't use it much lately as I could just use the streaming radio. I can still listen from the iPAQ if I really wanted to though. I would rather listen to my own music anymore though. I can download the mixes that DJ's like DJ No Left Turn put up online. Sure they take up an hour and a lot of space but its worth it! Some of them also put up tracks for download which is cool too as its all legal.
I am also really starting to feel "at home" on my laptops. I never really cared for Windows interface. I love the GNOME interface though. On XP I always try to make my start menu as small as I can and have all my stuff I use a lot as quick launch on the start menu. This would make it really nice but also feel cluttered. On GNOME, I have the 3 most used icons on my panel and I can still add more. I might add a few more in a drawer though if I can learn how to do scripts. This is nice as I can do a lot more stuff on GNOME then Windows in my opinion. Like I have that nice DATE AND TIME, the window switcher instead of a task bar, and the notification area is SMALL. I hate when I have like 10 icons on it when I used Windows. The battery meter I have is big yes but very nice. I get a graphically percentage and the run time left. Lot nicer then the Windows battery meter and this isn't a add on, its in the operating system!!! I also found out an easy way to get a temperature gauge for the CPU. There is also the really cool weather plug in I am running.
I am also loving all the free games for Linux. I can play ones I love like Mahjongg. I love the fact that Tetris is also built in. I also love that the default browser is Firefox and has GAIM already installed. Of course I use Pidgin! Oh well right??? OpenOffice.org is also included in the operating system thankfully.
The best part of Linux though is that I no longer bump my WiFi button all the time. Since its not used to turn it on or off anymore for some reason. It still glows when its one and now it will flash when its actually in use.
With Linux I am learning a lot of new stuff like CTRL ALT BACKSPACE to restart X. This is really needed when I need to edit the xorg.conf file. This means that stuff like mouse, resolution, and other stuff. Its also good to kill all programs.
I may just keep the fan, I guess that 5 Degrees is better then nothing. It does keep the case cooler. This is good since the place were the video card and WiFi card is at is a hot spot.

No comments: