Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

July 19, 2007

You know, there is one thing I really miss on Linux now... That little calendar! I have trouble remembering todays date sometimes. It really helped when I write these entries. At least you can hover over the date on Windows and get a small text box with date. Not perfect but better then nothing I guess!
I have to say, I really do love my T20 and its now been 2 weeks since I got it. I feel kind of bad for my Acer though! The T20 gets more use then it does. I really wish my Acer was smaller now! I also wish it had a TrackPoint like mouse!
I got 2 TrackPoint caps from a friend. I got a classic dome and a soft ring from him. I prefer the dome but they get dirty fast. They are also hard to clean from what I hear. I wish the 6 pack of caps that Lenovo sold for 10 bucks where all the classic dome. Its 2 of each type though. I do not really care for the other 2.
Guess what today is! The ThinkPad's 15TH birthday! Gotta say WOW. 15 years for one brand of laptop is pretty good if you ask me. I will always love the design of IBM and now Lenovo's laptops. Some people think they are ugly though. I personally love them. They are well made laptops. I just wish that my T20, I don't know what others have it though, didn't have the rubberized paint. It makes a nice grip though!
Something I have been thinking about lately is that Linux has gotten slower. I use to be able to run SuSE 9.2 on a 450MHZ Pentium 2 with 384MB of PC100 RAM and it ran great. I tried 10.2 on the T20 which is 300MHZ faster at 750MHZ and it was slow. I had the same amount of RAM. I guess Linux is losing its touch... Shame! I rather use Windows now since its faster.
I have starting getting sick of waiting for stuff to start up so I switched to AbiWord. I have probably said this before but it starts up fast once you disable the splash screen! Its not as advanced as OpenOffice.org but its a lot faster so thats a big plus for me. All I really care about is spell check! I just wish it had the auto replacement for a few words but its no big deal! I can use the help in learning to spell sometimes any way!
Man, I am really wish the weather would start getting colder soon. I would love to use my buggy more. It has just been too hot for me to feel like dealing with tuning the engine to hope it runs good. I then have to deal with the heat. No thanks, I can wait til the fall! Is a little cold air, like 70s so much to ask for?
I have to say, RC Driver is a great magazine. In the painting section this month, they made a Cheez-It theme body. Now I love food a lot but I don't think I could ever bring my self to making a body for my buggy about food. Thats a little crazy to me. The only thing funnier is when you see the look on peoples face when they see this thing. That must be the funniest thing ever. Taking your Cheez-It obsession to an RC scale!
Also in this magazine this month, they were talking about how nitro can be replaced by electric soon. The motors and batteries are starting to get up to what we need for this too happen now. They took a Losi 8ight and make it a brushless buggy. Its only a little heavier then the buggy stock minus the fuel. Pretty cool if you ask me. I prefer nitro but I would really rather have an electric anymore!!! Less cleanup, less hassle, and most importantly! Just plg and play! Sure you need to charge the batteries and get a few spares but it is so much easier then trying to get that engine started. Plus there is no tuning to do! The best part though is very little maintenance. I am not lazy but there is days when I just want to have some FUN and not try to get the engine started and tuned. Plus they don't make as much noise!
So far the server is still running great. There is one problem I am having though. My Acer and iPAQ can not connect to the drive. I find this to be kind of weird really. It worked fine for the T20. I am thinking for the iPAQ though, its due to it being a NTFS drive. The Acer though, I have no idea. The only bad thing is that I can't access the drive when I am not home. Oh well. I have flash drives I can use. I will have to use one for car trips. I love my Kingston DataTraveler 4GB drive. What makes the drive even better is that I got it for free!
Today started the Woot Off so I missed a lot of stuff. Good thing there is nothing I want! I did get what I wanted though. I got my laptop battery for T20 off Tiger Direct!

No comments: