Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Monday, January 14, 2008

January 14, 2008

Well, today feels like a day I want to do a little ranting. I don't know if I have did this before, so here goes!
First, I want to talk about my idea I have for a PDA similar to the Newton. Now I am aware that the Newton was a epic failure, but this is more less an improved version. This would essentially be a small tablet pc like device.
It would run on Windows CE and have around a 5 inch VGA screen. The core software would be similar to the HandHeld PC, but with a few differences. For one, all data input would be screen based, or with an optionally available Bluetooth keyboard. There would be a full screen version of Decuma. This would allow you to input a lot of text at once.
The handheld would also have a version with a slide out thumb board. This would also come in a bundle pack with the Bluetooth keyboard. There would also be an optional cell phone card to add calling and internet access to the device. This would be in a bundle pack or sold separately.
The device would be made for media access and would feature a 80GB hard drive, or 64GB flash SSD if you so chose. The device would also include a copy of TCPMP for movie playback. There would also be a viewer and downloader for YouTube.
The software would also have a specially made version of Office. These would be the full desktop suite of Office 2007, or OpenOffice, depending on what you choose to use. This means that you could leave the laptop at home for the next business trip and only carry around this small device.
The battery life would have to be long enough to keep the device useful but small enough for it to be thin. To combat this, the device would ship would 2 batteries, one normal sized, and one double sized. To make charging easier, the batteries would have a charge port on them instead of just the device. There would be a Y adapter to charge 2 batteries.
Second topic, I want to talk about laptops. Now, I love them but I also hate them. How is this possible? Why would I hate something I love? Well, keep reading!
One thing I hate about my laptops is that they get hot. Now, I can't blame AMD or Intel for this, as this is a flaw of the design laptops use. They can not have the more elaborate cooling systems of a desktop. They can only have a small heat pipe and fan.
What can be done to improve this? Well, not much as far as I know. The one thing that can be done is to use processors that run cooler. They might be able to at most move the intake vents. They place them on the bottom which can restrict airflow. They could be placed on the top above the keyboard though and have the vent output on the back in the middle. This would keep it from burning your legs. This also involves moving the battery on some laptops, such as my Acer, or ports like on my IBM ThinkPad T20.
I also hate the fact that battery life is not very long on some laptops. Some of them get only like an hour and a half, yet some get like 6 hours or more. This is very unbalanced. I know that batteries are expensive but they could maybe be a little bigger! Why not use those new Silver Zinc batteries?
Why are they so awkward to use sometimes? This is more less a personal preference I suppose. I have trouble using them unless I am in a chair or they are on a desk. Why? Well for me, they are hard to position on you lap so that you are comfortable and the laptop is balanced. Then there is also the hot fan blowing on your legs. I don’t see how people can lay down in bed with them either.
I also have to say that you also need to make some sacrifices for owning one. For example, you lose a lot of USB stuff. Sure you can still use that cradle for your PDA but now its in the way since there is cables all over the desk. Plus you only have a few ports to use so now you might need a hub!
Another one is that if the LCD breaks some how, its like 300 bucks for a new one. Plus, once you pick a size, you are stuck with it unless you use an external LCD. Of course, this also goes for the keyboard and mouse. If you don't like them or they break, you need to spend money for a new one or get an external one. Though I do like having my VX Revolution, though I lose a USB port to that!
You also lose some hard drive capacity too. Though this is not a problem for me, since I can make do with a small hard drive just finem some people may need more then what you can get in a laptop. Of course, there is always external hard drives.
The worst one is that they don't have the same stuff you would find in a desktop since they need to have low power consumption. This means that it may not have a faster processor or high end video card. Of course they make gaming laptops.
last but not least, its getting so hard to pick a computer anymore. They have so many different screen sizes, hard drives, and other various little things to choose from. You may want a 12 inch model but someone else may want a 15 inch. There is just to many choices. But hey, at least there is choices unlike Apple computer!
Well, today was more less a mini rant of sorts. I just wanted to give my self something to do today really. We were supposed to get up to 4 inches of snow today and we didn’t get much all day, just a few showers! We were supposed to get a little more tomorrow but that changed to showers only too. Oh well, we did get a little bit!
I tried to take that ThinkPad 570 apart last night and I got all the screws out except for one of them that holds the hinges onto the case. The head is totally stripped and I can not get it out. I am going to try the Dremel trick this weekend or when I get a chance.
So I can assume everyone has heard about the guy who is suing the Yankees because they took steroids. ONLY IN AMAERICA!
For supper today I had a canned chicken sandwich. Its from Sams Club. Its like tuna but chicken. It is really good with a little mayonnaise on it. I like it on crackers too.

No comments: