Announcements

Posting old entries, pardon the mess.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 15, 2008

Well, we all know what today is don't we? Yes, its Macworld! Yes, I know I hate Macs but I will cover it like every other Blog is! First, this is not a live thing like Engadget is doing. Sorry, but I do not have the resources to live blog a keynote since I am kind of far from California. My coverage will be more of a rant then anything.
First thing announced is the Time Capsule. The thing is a simple a network storage device for backup of your Mac using WiFi. That is kind of sad since you can just as easily use a USB hard drive for the same thing. The sad thing is that the USB drive is probably faster then this. They will have 500GB and 1TB sized drives. Not bad on the size, but the thing is that it probably only works with Macs. Plus, I have a 120GB server in my room, I can back up to that just as easy!
The iPod Touch and iPhone ate getting updates. Guess what happens if you own an iPod Touch. YOU HAVE TO PAY 20 BUCKS FOR THE UPDATE! The new buyers will get the update with the iPod but current owners need to pay! Good job Apple, Microsoft let the Zune 30 users upgrade to the firmware from the new Zunes for FREE!
Do you rent movies? Well how would you like to rent a movie with your computer. That’s right, you buy the movie for 3 or 4 dollars for standard definition movies and high definition are a dollar extra. You have 30 days to open the file then after you open it, you have 24 hours to watch it. Wow that’s such a great idea! HEY HERES A BETTER IDEA, WHY DON'T I JUST BUY A DVD OF THE MOVIE AND GET TO KEEP IT? OH WAIT, THAT ISN'T AS COOL AS ITUNES!
The Apple TV was a joke and now they are making version 2! Wow, the change is that it doesn't need a computer. WOW APPLE! I guess this is the future since Apple does everything right. I guess I should throw out my DVD player and PS3 and go buy this device and rent all my movies on iTunes since it is the cool thing to do!
Now we come to MacBook Air. Yes, its called the Air. What the hell is with the name? Well, its THIN, that’s the thing. Its only .76" thick. WOW who the hell cares? First of all, it costs 1800 bucks for the base model. That’s a 1.6GHZ Dual Core. Want faster? Add 300 bucks and you get a 1.8GHZ. Now, there is no optical drive included, but that costs 100 bucks extra. You can also use the drive on your own Mac with special software. Now here is the kicker! The battery, hard drive, and RAM are not user replaceable! You can not buy a new battery and have 2, its inside the sealed case. The RAM is only 2GB and is soldered in too! The HDD is only an iPod classic drive! God, I guess laptops are disposable now? I am but going to pay 130 dollars to send my laptop to Apple for a new battery. Plus the fact that its 1800 bucks to start off!
Supper today was beef stew. Some of the meat was a little tough though. For the most part, the vegetables were a little on the hard side. It was good though. We also has some snow today. Not much, just showers but the trees were all covered.

No comments: